Tuesday, March 21, 2006

Last night I saw V for Vendetta. I highly recommend it.
I particularly liked two quotes:













"Artists use lies to tell the greater truth . . .
Politicians use lies to cover it up."














"People should not be afraid of their government.
Government should be afraid of their people."


The line about artists reminded me of an interview from The Chomsky Reader

James Peck
You once said, "It is not unlikely that literature will forever give far deeper insight into what is sometimes called 'the full human person' than any modes of scientific inquiry may hope to do."

Chomsky

That's perfectly tr
ue and I believe that. I would go on to say it's not only unlikely, but it's almost certain. But still, if I want to understand, let's say, the nature of China and its revolution, I ought to be cautious about literary renditions. Look, there's no question that as a child, when I read about China, this influenced my attitudes -- Rickshaw Boy, for example. That had a powerful effect when I read it. It was so long ago I don't remember a thing about it except the impact. And I don't doubt that, for me, personally, like anybody, lots of my perceptions were heightened and attitudes changed by literature over a broad range -- Hebrew literature, Russian literature, and so on. But ultimately, you have to face the world as it is on the basis of other sources of evidence that you can evaluate. Literature can heighten your imagination and insight and understanding, but it surely doesn't provide the evidence that you need to draw conclusions and substantiate conclusions.

This past weekend we rented two classics
that are still pertinent today.


Network and Inherit the Wind.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

Web Site Counter
Free Website Counter