Monday, December 12, 2005

Tonight Nick and I are going to attempt to make Lucia Bread
for the first time. It should be fun, let's just hope it turns out edible.

Years ago I had an exhibit up at SFAI that included my version of a Sta. Lucia painting. When my friend Rita who is from Sweden saw it she was kind enough to make some Lucia Bread and bring it to the art reception. Unfortunately I did not get to taste it because it was gone by the time she walked across the gallery. Then a few years later she and I were in the grad program at CCA(C) and we intentionally planned an exhibit of her work and my work during the week of Sta. Lucia Day. Again, Rita made the beautiful Lucia bread sculpted into various shapes, but once again I did not get a bite!!! So tomorrow morning I will have my first bite of Lucia bread after missing my chance to taste some made by an expert.

Lucia Bread
11 Tablespoon. butter
6 cups flour
2/3 cups sugar
3 package dry yeast or 1 2/3 oz. fresh yeast
2 cups milk
1 gr. saffron
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 cup raisins
1 egg

Grind saffron with a little sugar in a mortar and pestle. Melt butter, add milk and heat to 130° (too hot to keep your finger in), add salt and saffron. Mix dry ingredients and gradually add the hot milk mixture. Knead the dough. Place in a greased bowl, cover with a damp cloth and let rise 30 minutes. Knead again. Divide the dough into 30 parts. Roll into traditional shapes, add raisin decoration and place on a greased sheet. Let rise 30 minutes. Brush with beaten egg. Bake 5 minutes at 450°.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

Web Site Counter
Free Website Counter